CASE STUDY ANALYSIS
A. Case Title:
Retail or Not?
B. Time Framework:
C. Management Topic:
a. Niche Market
b. Product Line
D. Statement of the Problem/s (Discussion or case questions):
1. Discuss the opening quote by Roxanne Quimby “The biggest businesses have revolutionized civilization, changed the way we live. That’s my aspiration; to change the world for the better through my company.” Does Burt’s Bees have the potential to be this company? Why?
2. Describe the pros and cons of manufacturing the products in Maine. Compare this to the production in North Carolina.
3. Why did Quimby have to cut the product line and change it so extensively? Could that be difficult for an entrepreneur? Why?
4. Should they enter the retail market?
E. Main Problem:
Should Burt’s Bees enter the retail market to be the route to reach at least $25 million in sales before selling it at some point?
F. Important Information / Areas of Consideration:
1. Burt’s Bees began in 1987 and had always turned a profit.
2. Burt’s Bees big break came in 1989 at a wholesale show in Springfield, Massachusetts.
3. The company was not only profitable but also debt-free.
4. Burt’s Bees products are all-natural and earth-friendly personal care products.
F1. Persons Involved:
F2. Significant Facts:
1. Burt’s Bees success was hard won through 18-24 months after the company from Maine in 1994.
2. The company took out $1.5 Million in products including beeswax candles, the company’s first and best-selling item.
3. Burt’s Bees had invested heavily in cosmetics manufacturing equipment.
G. Answers to Discussion or Guide Questions:
1. The opening quote by Roxanne Quimby “The biggest businesses have revolutionized civilization, changed the way we live. That’s my aspiration; to change the world for the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document